Learn how to do dumbbell clean and presses. Presented by Real Jock Gay Fitness Health & Life.
This exercise converts a classic shoulder exercise, often done with a barbell or kettlebell, to take advantage of its leg-busting potential. Put squats between the elements of a clean and press for a maximized leg and shoulder workout.
Stand upright with dumbbells held in each hand at your sides and your palms facing inward.
1. From the starting position, press your hips back and lower down into a squat, keeping your back flat and your weight in your heels. As you descend, keep the majority of your weight back on your heels while still applying pressure through the balls of your feet. Let your arms hang straight down from the shoulder as you squat, until the dumbbells almost touch or lightly touch the floor at the outside of your feet, with your arms passing to the outside of your shins.
2. From the bottom of your squat, explode upward, pressing forcefully through your legs to come to vertical. As your upper body rises, bend your elbows and 'snatch' the dumbbells up to your shoulder level by dragging them up the front sides of your body and flicking them up to catch them in your palms at shoulder level, with your hands facing inward.
3. Keeping the weights at your shoulder, lower yourself once again into a deep squat, again being careful to keep your back flat and your shoulders no further forward than your knees.
4. Once again from the squat, push explosively back to standing, now using your upward momentum to bring the weights from your shoulder level to straight up overhead in a shoulder press. Your arms will be extended directly upward, with palms facing each other.
5. Bend your elbows to lower the weights to your shoulder, and from there lower them again to your sides. Repeat the entire sequence for a set of 12 clean and presses.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.