Save yourself back pain and injury by learning the correct way to pick up heavy objects. Watch this video to learn how to lift a heavy object.
You Will Need
* Common sense
* Good posture
* People to help
* A dolly or mechanical lift
WARNING: If you have a history of back problems, consider asking someone else to lift a heavy object to prevent possible injury.
Step 1. Study the object
Study the object to be moved and check for handles and whether the object is liquid or solid – liquid can shift weight while being lifted.
Step 2. Test weight of object
Stand close to the object and lift one corner, if possible. Determine whether you will be able to lift it without assistance.
Help for lifting might include one or two others or mechanical assistance, such as a dolly or lift.
Step 3. Position yourself
Stand close to the object. Bend your knees and grab the object where you have good handholds.
Keep a straight back and spread your feet shoulder width apart.
Step 4. Lift
Lift slowly with your legs and arms, keeping your back straight and your torso close to the object. Use your abdominal muscles.
Step 5. Finish
Carefully lower the object, following the same precautions. You're done – and your back thanks you for sparing it pain and injury.
FACT: Each year, back problems cost Americans $15 billion.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades