The use of heavy duty resistance bands (also referred to as "Powerlifting Bands") as a strength training aid has become increasingly popular over recent years. The bands are used for accommodating resistance; a technique that involves creating maximal tension throughout a full range of motion.
Typically, a person is stronger at certain point of a lift than they are at others (e.g. half squat vs full squat). To overcome the differentiation in resistance, bands are used to accommodate changes in strength at different phases of the movement. Ultimately, your muscles will have to work harder because of the bands.
Here is what you can expect to feel when using powerlifting bands for the bench press exercise:
* Exercise may feel awkward at first due to the change in directional forces
* A progressive weight increase as the bands are stretched
* A tendency for the bands to lock you into a groove (like a Smith machine)
The following are instructions for performing the bench press with powerlifting bands:
First, anchor the bands in place. Heavy dumbbells work great for securing bands. Once the bands are setup, lie down on a flat bench and disengage the bar from the rack. Slowly lower the bar to the middle/lower portion of your chest. Pause for a second, then push the bar up, just short of locking the elbows. Exhale as you push the weight up. Repeat the exercise as needed.
Secure bands to dumbbells. Disengage bar from rack.
Slowly lower bar to chest. Pause.
Push bar up to starting point. Exhale.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades